Women Thrive is proud to update you on our latest achievements and to share ways you can take action to help make gender equality a reality! Learn more in our May 2018 Newsletter!
Women Thrive is proud to update you on our latest achievements and to share ways you can take action each month to help make gender equality a reality!
Emily Bove speaking at the Stockholm Philanthropy Symposium
Spreading the word for gender equality:
* Women Thrive’s Executive Director Emily Bove spoke at the Stockholm Philanthropy Symposium about how grassroots-led and women-centered partnerships create sustainable change and break down barriers women and girls face in their everyday lives.
* We hosted our second #WomenThriveLive Facebook chat on safety measures. Agar Mbianda and Noel Schroeder shared updates and tips from their Ms. Blog and Medium articles. In case you missed the live conversation click here to watch and share any questions or comments you have!
* Women Thrive and Alliance member SIRP Nigeria were guests on a #Sayftychat (Twitter chat) about the issue of child marriage, how it relates to the Sustainable Development Goals, and actions we all can take to put an end to it. Check out the Twitter Moment here to see a rundown of the chat!
Skills building for gender equality advocates worldwide:
* The Achieve SDG5 Coalition in Tanzania (made up of eight Alliance members) published their findings from the 2018 National SDG Scorecard report. The Coalition will use the Scorecard to identify and determine their strategy for their advocacy project, funded by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, on Goal 5 on gender equality of the Sustainable Development Goals.
* We just wrapped up our online Raise Your Visibility course, which equips Alliance members with skills to build their social media presence and better ways to communicate the impact they make on a daily basis. See the course takeaways here!
Advocating for gender equality around the world:
* We are thrilled to share the findings of our grassroots-led data collection on the implementation of the Sustainable Development Goals in our 2018 National SDG Scorecard Global Report! This year's report analyzes the data collected from 114 grassroots organizations in 19 countries from five regions of the world. Download the report here!
Our Alliance members -- a network of over 320 women’s rights and gender equality grassroots organizations -- have been hard at work in their countries:
* May’s Meet Our Members video profiles Fatma from Women Wake Up (WOWAP) in Tanzania. Hear from Fatma about why she’s an advocate and how her organization is working to end female genital mutilation and advocates for women’s rights! Watch here!
* We have welcomed five new members to the Alliance! These new members from Cameroon, the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Ghana, Uganda, and Thailand work on issues ranging from gender-based violence to the environment to indigenous women’s rights.
You can directly support and champion the work of women’s rights and gender equality advocates all over the world in many ways. Here are few resources and ways to take action!
* Gender equality champions, grow your skill set with another tool for Your United Nations Toolkit! Our most recent tools explain what the High-Level Political Forum is and how you can participate.
Stay tuned for new ways to engage with Alliance members and join us at events throughout the year. We’re excited to hear from and meet our followers in-person as we grow our Women Thrive family.