Women Thrive is proud to update you on our latest achievements and to share ways you can take action to help make gender equality a reality! Learn more in our March 2018 Newsletter!
Women Thrive is proud to update you on our latest achievements and to share ways you can take action each month to help make gender equality a reality!
Thank you to our friends and supporters in the D.C. area for joining us for our International Women’s Day Breakfast and Happy Hour events!
In addition to our International Women's Day events, our E.D. spoke with 89.3 WFPL - Louisville’s NPR News Station about the depiction of refugee women in media and was featured on Women eNews Live broadcast.
Advocating for gender equality around the world:
* Women Thrive and eleven Alliance members from Cameroon, Ghana, India, Kenya, Nigeria, Tanzania, Uganda, and Zimbabwe attended the 62nd Commission on the Status of Women (CSW). Our Alliance members spoke on six panels, attended over 50 events and met with diverse decision-makers, funders, and media to raise the voices of women and girls living in rural areas around the world. See photos from CSW here!
* At CSW, Women Thrive began phase two of our #InTheRoom campaign by co-hosting three events on the issue of increased attacks and restrictions placed on women’s rights advocates, organizations, and women human rights defenders. Our side-event “Feminist Movements Under Attack” brought together over 150 advocates, government representatives, and funders to strategize about what can be done to ensure that feminist advocates and voices are not silenced.
Skills building for gender equality advocates worldwide:
* During the last week of February, Women Thrive held a three-day Raise Your Voice workshop with our Achieve SDG5 Coalition in Tanzania thanks to the support of the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation! The Coalition is now prepared to participate in SDG5 implementation and has chosen to focus specifically on connecting woman and girl leaders from the grassroots level with decision-makers. Read more about the Coalition here.
* Last month, we held our online Raise Your Voice course with 41 Alliance members from 18 countries. Before the course, only 50% felt confident enough to plan a woman-centered advocacy campaign. Now, 100% of participants have committed to developing a woman-centered advocacy campaign in the next three months!
Our Alliance members -- a network of over 310 women’s rights and gender equality grassroots organizations -- have been hard at work in their countries:
* This month’s Meet Our Members video featured Ahia from Kagera People-Centered Development Foundation in Tanzania. Hear what Ahia has to say about being a gender equality advocate.
* In the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Alliance members met for the first time and began to lay the groundwork for building an Achieve SDG5 Coalition in the DRC.
TAKE ACTION & COMING UP
You can directly support and champion the work of women’s rights and gender equality advocates all over the world in many ways. Here are few resources and ways to take action!
Support #InTheRoom through our GlobalGiving project “Get Women and Girls #InTheRoom.” The funds raised from our GlobalGiving project will equip 200 women and girls’ rights advocates with skills, connections, and resources they need to get in the room with decision-makers and have their voices heard!
Gender equality champions, grow your skill set with Your #InTheRoom Toolkit! Our most recent tool helps those who are new to the United Nations system and seeking ECOSOC accreditation. Also, take part online by downloading the #InTheRoom Social media kit!
In April, Women Thrive is hosting its second Facebook Live chat on “Safety -- What activists need to know.” Stay tuned for details!
Next month is Sexual Assault Awareness Month here in the United States. Our Alliance members all around the world work to end sexual assault and harassment in their communities every day. An easy way YOU can make a difference is by following our Alliance members and hashtags to help to grow their global recognition!
In 2018, stay tuned for new ways to engage with the Alliance members and join us at events throughout the year. We’re excited to hear from and meet our followers in-person as we grow our Women Thrive family.